Sunday, January 25, 2009

Meatball Stroganoff

I'm just blogging this since I threw it together tonight and it turned out really good.

1 large onion, chopped
2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
cooking wine
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can beef broth
italian style meatballs
10 oz or so of sauerkraut
1 box rotini pasta

Saute the onion in butter until it begins to be translucent, then add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browning. Deglaze with wine (I used white but red might be better), add soup and broth. Mix until well incorporated. Add meatballs (as many as you prefer) and sauerkraut. Heat to boiling and then turn down the heat to simmer for about 10 minutes (or as long as it takes to cook the pasta).

Cook the pasta until it's al dente, then mix it in with the sauce. This was about a double recipe so I'd have leftovers to take to work for lunch this week. I think this would translate well to the crockpot.

It'll be nice when I can use my own mushroom soup, beef broth, sauerkraut, etc. For now, it's sure nice to have the shortcuts to use.