Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Milky goodness

The other day I was at the grocery store and I needed to get milk. I was walking through the aisle and as I was approaching the milk section I noticed something different. A strange new brand of milk was next to my normal Darigold. As I walked closer, I started to be able to make out the words on the label.

The music swelled as the chorus sang "Hallelujah!" There it was, on the jug's label - "Spokane's Family Farm."

I was stunned in disbelief. I picked up the jug, cradled it lovingly in my arms, and inspected the label closely. Yes, my eyes had not deceived me. Something I had been looking for since I moved here - locally produced milk! I immediately filled my cart with three gallons. We do go through about 2-3 gallons of milk per week (Eleora loves milk). I've been buying 1% but all they have is whole. I'm making the switch entirely, and I'll just drink less myself to compensate for the calories.

The best part? It's not homogenized. It is pasteurized but it's cream-on-the-top whole milk and so I'm THINKING and HOPING that I will finally be able to make a decent cheese. We'll see!