Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Making granola!

So I decided to make granola the other day... found a recipe online, modified it a bit (of course!) and voila! Fantastic! I think my oven runs hot because it's pretty dark so next time I'll cut the baking time a bit but wow... what a great tasting breakfast, also great in my yogurt and it keeps me filled up for a long long time. Great quick energy for me to grab before my walks in the morning.

Here's the recipe as I made it:

Cranberry Pistachio Vanilla granola
2 c thick rolled oats
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/2 c pumpkin seeds (raw)
1/2 c chopped pistachios
1/4 c hulled sesame seeds
1/2 c raw sunflower seeds
1/4 c wheat germ
1 c cranberries
1/4 c oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c honey

I threw the almonds and pumpkin seeds in a bowl
Chopped up my pistachios,

Added the wheat germ,

... Sesame seeds,

... and sunflower seeds.

I poured in my oats,

Mixed it up

All mixed!

Now the liquids - oil goes in a cup. Measure the oil separately in a larger measure and swirl it around to coat the sides.

Measure honey in the oil-coated measuring cup and pour it in


Add vanilla
Warm up the mixture in the microwave so it gets thin

Pouring on to the dry mix. The fact that I heated it up helps the liquid absorb into the dry mix.

All mixed!

Closeup of the texture

In the oven on a baking sheet with sides (sides are important!)
And the finished granola! I think my oven was hot since it got VERY dark.

Adding the cranberries. You add dried fruit after it's been toasted otherwise they get all brown and hard.

All mixed!

Closeup of the granola... yum! It comes out of the oven pretty moist but it crisps up well after it cools.

I enjoyed my granola all week long in the mornings with milk and also in my yogurt at work. I'm going to make more today because I ran out yesterday. It's a good dense food for me to eat - I have trouble eating enough calories some days especially when I exercise a lot (nursing burns like 500 calories!) so its good for me to have on hand.