Saturday, March 28, 2009

Finished super early seeds yesterday!

So yesterday I had some time off from work which I spent getting all the remaining hardware to suspend my light fixtures (I only have 2 of the 4 up right now). I also went and got some humidity domes and then spent a nice chunk of time planting the rest of my early seeds.

So far I have a whole bunch of tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, eggplant, cabbage and onions planted. Nothing's coming up yet, though. The humidity domes will really help though because the lights sit (literally) right on top of them. They aren't nearly warm enough to melt the plastic, but they warm up the air trapped inside the dome and keep it moist & warm. I can't wait to see what my plants will look like next week! So far no germination from what I did before, although it was all long-germinating stuff like tomatoes & peppers.

I also soaked my sweet pea seeds and I'll be planting them outside today after work. Maybe I'll find some working batteries so I can take a picture! I also will need to find some shade loving annuals like pansies, etc. We'll see how the day goes by. I think I want to add a bunch of vermiculite before I plant because I know myself well enough to know I won't be faithful with watering the flower areas every day. They aren't even in a real pot or container... they are just in a slim ledge thing that was made when the low brick wall was put in around the patio. So it's not very big and will probably dry out pretty quickly. So... I guess I'm on the search for annuals that are drought-resistant and do OK in the shade, since the area is shaded most of the day.