Monday, April 20, 2009

Worm Composting

I think it's time to retire my worm bins. I'm horrible at maintaining them now that I have a backyard with a regular compost pile. Down in the basement, y poor worms, hardy souls that they may be, have been severely neglected.

So I think one of the to-do things on my list for this weekend will be to distribute the contents of the bins among my garden beds. The beds are filled with mulch-y food for them anyway, and I think they will do better out there. More room for them to expand in numbers, and a pretty much indefinite supply of food with all the compost, manure, shavings and leaves that fill the beds.

It's kind of a sad thing, though. Those compost bins really helped me through the time when I lived in the apartment and had no yard. I really hope and pray that I never have to live in an apartment ever again. Living with no yard to work in for me is a difficult scenario. So, it's bittersweet, but I think the only sad part is really my nostalgia kicking in. And if anything ever comes up and I need to set up a bin again I can always go grab some worms to start with from my garden beds. I'm sure by the end of the summer there will be bazillions :)