Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kielbasa

We looooove kielbasa around here (it goes great with fried potatoes!). I used to get big packages of it at Costco for pretty cheap but they stopped carrying it. I was just looking around the web to see if it would be easy to make it. Any tips? I already have a meat grinder attachment for my kitchenaid and so I think the only equipment I'd still need is a smoker. If I end up making a lot of it (I will EVENTUALLY but not for a few years) I might need a sausage stuffer... but that's probably not going to happen soon.

But a smoker, maybe. We do have a fireplace, is it possible to use those as a smoker? lol... I'm such a duct tape person ;)

Now the gears in my head are beginning to grind... sometimes I wish I didn't have so many projects I want to do! I think it all stems from me wanting to master many of the old-world skills. Soapmaking I have down - been doing that for about 10 years. Cooking and baking bread, check. Right now it's cheese and canning that I'm working on, but now sausage is entering the picture... oh my! lol. Also, homebrewing is on the horizon at some point.

Can you imagine... a fine meal of german sausage (from your own pigs) and potatoes & kraut (from your garden) and an ice cold homebrew (from your homegrown hops). That's the life I envision.